Possible power outages affect library operations
Power outages caused by energy shortages are possible throughout Finland in early 2023. If they occur, the power outages will affect Helmet library operations.
Planned power outages will be announced the day before. Information about unexpected power outages cannot be communicated in advance.
Power outages can be regional and affect a specific library. The library will be closed and its services will not be available during the power outage. Self-service libraries will also be closed for the duration of power outages. If a library is closed due to a power outage, you cannot borrow or return material there.
In the event of a power outage, services will have to be interrupted and customers will be asked to leave the building. Children and special groups will be taken into account separately. Employees will guide customers out of the building and check that no customers are left in the premises (lifts, changing rooms, etc.).
Mobile libraries may also operate during power outages.
If you are unable to pick up your reservation or renew a loan that is due, please contact the library’s customer service.
Even after the power outage has ended, there may be delays in returning the library services to normal operation.
If you are unable to return your loans due to a power outage, please follow these steps:
- Return the loans at the end of the power outage or return them to an open Helmet library,
- or renew the loans in the Helmet web service or in the Taskukirjasto (Pocket Library) application.
- If necessary, contact the library’s customer service after the power outage to renew the loans.
Reservations to be picked up
If you are unable to pick up your reservation due to a power outage, please follow these steps:
- Pick up the reservations at the end of the power outage within the pick-up time,
- or cancel the reservation in the Helmet web service or in the Taskukirjasto (Pocket Library) application.
- If necessary, another person can pick up the reservation for you
o by presenting your library card, a personalised power of attorney and his/her personal ID card, or
o by presenting the arrival notification of the reservation and his/her library card.
o For more information, see Power of attorney: Library card and loans
- If necessary, contact the library’s customer service after the power outage: Libraries and services.
Events and space reservations
In the event of a power outage, any scheduled events or space reservations will be cancelled.
More information on the impact of power outages on city websites
Photo: Maarit Hohteri / City of Helsinki